1. No one in a moving car can tell if your smile is forced.
2. Always carry emergency gummy bears. We didn't end up needing ours but when it's raining and 3am and you're tent is broken because somebody sleep walks and you're in the middle of nowhere... they can become vital.
3. A pity ride is still a ride.
Ok, so these images seem pretty random but I swear, this is what comes up when you google 'pity ride'. Take that as you like.
4. You can definitely fit on that tractor, yes, even with your bags.
5. Avoid sunglasses where possible as they disrupt eye contact. Which you need because...
|Would you pick up this creep?|
8. Pubs are in every town and they often have wifi, toilets and, well, beer.
9. No matter your political, social or religious views, while you are in a car you nod and smile.
10. Expect your reaction to creepy vans approaching to change dramatically.
12. Thou shalt get a weird tan line because:
a. you have bugger all clothes and only one pair of sandals and,
b. you've forgotten to buy or apply sunscreen and you've been standing on this roadside a while...
|For us shorts and jandal tan lines were the worst. Any non-kiwis, a jandal is a flipflop or a thong (Australian).|
14. Whether or not they are allowed, some truck drivers will pick you up, so it's worth keeping your thumb out or chatting them up at service stations.
15. Accept all offers for showers and food - laundry you may need to ask for.
16. Of course it's not weird to stay with that friend of a friend of a friend in Paris (something that didn't end up happening but we were all for it).
17. Last but not least, listen to advice from the locals. We ended up doing a bunch of cool things because random people who picked us up were local and suggested them.
|Taking over a bar in Galway|
|Walking through the Gap of Dunloe then sailing out|
|Dune du Pilat|
|Free concert in Paris|
|Chaumont Buttes park|
|The best view of Paris (which isn't from the Eiffel tower by the way)|
|This jungly restaurant|
Also, a bit of advice for anyone considering giving rides to hitchhikers:
Find a hitcher. Pick him up. All day long you'll have good luck!
|Relax Mum, we didn't actually do this!|