Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Orlando: First weeks

I've been in Orlando for three weeks and thought I should probably start a blog for my parents' and future-Nina's benefit.
I arrived on the 7th after about 38 hours traveling and a couple of hiccups... our (Maja and me) plane from Sydney to Dallas was hit by a catering van (?!) so we got delayed then had to sprint around Fort Worth airport to make our connecting flight to Orlando. I had time to grab a photo of the closest thing to a cowboy I could find (it was all in the hat and I swear he was more ok with the photo than he looks!)
We got to our hotel safely despite the driver running red lights (turns out that's legal if it's on a right turn). However, we had  to call the front desk and have someone sent up to turn on the lights as we couldn't work it out... BUT we survived the night and got to Disney the next day.
Then follows three weeks of being trained in the Disney way of life and at our respective jobs - I am a seater/greeter at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Hotel - and exploring the Disney parks.
Hollywood Studios

The Mexico exhibit

Ashley, Madison and I met Mary Poppins

Cinderella's Castle


My first funnel cake - I'm just a little excited
I celebrated my 21st birthday on the 22nd of Jan and was a little bit ridiculous with a sash and crown Luckily everyone joined in.

 Americans don't think this is unreasonable attire on your birthday and I got lots of birthday wishes from strangers and a few people who had the same or a close birthday came up to chat.

I'm living at a housing complex called Patterson Court. It's pretty nice here.
The pool in Florida midwinter
 I have just invested in a bike as I found a dance studio 9 miles away so I'm excited about that and I'm organising some adventures to explore greater Florida! Unfortunately, the only climbing groups I found were dating websites for active people...

No comments:

Post a Comment